Thursday, January 19, 2012

Korean Music Winter 2012

My sister has returned to Korea after a visit with the family in December. So of course I Skyped her recently to ask her about music trends she likes in the new year. For fellow Americans who are following Korean bands such as 2 P.M. and Infinite, you might be interested in MBLAQ.

Here are two boy bands and three girl groups that appeal to me this winter:


1. MBLAQ
My favorite song by this R&B/pop band is "I belong to you". Who can resist a song that begins with "I'm sorry, girl" like the formula of great American MoTown? You can find this song on Grooveshark.

2. Infinite
"Nothing's over" reminds me of the guilty pleasure of listening to American boy bands of the 1990s. Sunny music about young love.

3. Afterschool
"Ah" is just so cute as a video. It's also a study of coy poses that are distinct to Korea. 

4. WonderGirls
Their song "Nobody" reminds me of the flirty beats of Debbie Gibson and hand clapping of Prince music of the 1980s. In other words, I dig it.

5.  Son Dambi
Son Dambi's "Crazy" video will remind you of Liza Minelli's slinky moves in cabaret.






No comments:

Post a Comment